20080815

Tea parties for feminists


A couple of days ago my mom told me she wants to host a tea party at her church and wanted to know if I can help her. Since I'm a lovely child I agreed, but I know nothing of about hosting a tea party. I have little proper etiquette, but I can bake a mean sweet. Then yesterday I was discussing with Monica (whom we've talked about having a tea party/baking session) about this tea party seeing that she's an expert on tea. Which led to us finally planning our own tea party for next weekend. High tea! High five!

I'm extremely excited. Monica even said "why don't you look through that book of yours"...aka written by one of my many heroes-Amy Sedaris. I thought of all these baked goods I want to make such as:

cupcakes (duh)
gingersnap cookies
crepes
strawberry shortcake
fluffy coconut cake
lemon madeleines
biscotti
kourambiethes
scones
lemon curd

Basically my dad was right and I should had gone to culinary school. Either that or I'm a fat little kid. 

Being an hostess seem very 50s Americana, and tea parties seem very Victorian. High class I ain't, and rules are meant to be broken so either this party will be very punk rock (most likely no because we don't listen to punk rock, but I do rather enjoy post punk) or very clumsy with tons of giggling and tea being spilled everywhere. Maybe tummy aches from too much sweets.
Sounds like a dream come true.

And yes I plan to bake all of that.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

The Sedaris family -- both Amy and David -- are awesome.

Funny is in their DNA. haha