20080803

I love you, you're from around my way

To my surprise, MTV2 now give their program Subterranean on Saturdays at 11pm, instead of Sunday (Monday) at 1am. I watched some of the videos of today's underground and was disappointed. For one thing-the music suck, and two-the video sucks. It's as though every underground (wait that's a 20th century term-I mean "hipster") band tries to do something different and flashy with nonchalant. Personally I think they failed. Maybe it's because I grew up watching music videos as a kid (well when we had cable-which was late in the game) and I grew up loving these music videos that looked like it costed no more than $100. The video is there, but at the same time they are not. The image is not over washing the song, and well there was always a cheese factor in them. The overused green screens, and camera angles that were all over the place always makes my heart filled with joy. 

Example: Dinosaur Jr's cover of Just Like Heaven. Nothing is actually going on in this video, but it still rules. It rules in many levels-but mostly because do I dare say it's better than the original. Even Robert Smith knows it. J's voice is so sleepy and slackerish, with the loud guitar, and Lou screaming (hearts!) That's beside the point. At this time bands were encouraged to make a music video with a small budget to get air play on MTV. The result was never serious and always experimental.  Just Like Heaven looks like the filming took as long as the song is.
 


Another great example is Pixies' Velouria. The footage is like 20 seconds long, and it was slowed down to fit the song. Genius! 




Subterranean is eh. There's no bands or videos that make me want to listen to any of them. 120 Minutes was awesome-but I was young and only remembered Matt Pinfield, and was really sleepy when it came on. Vh1 Classic was airing this amazing program called The Alternative, but switched to 120 Minutes which airs too much REM and U2 for my taste. I need videos that are around my way-right LL?

On a slight side note: Welcome An Awkward Pause to the blogosphere!
You are my first loyal reader so obviously I'll be yours.
Here's a video dedication para usted:

Our next trip should be going to ATP at New York.
We should get our hearing seriously damaged.

2 comments:

Richard said...

Much love for the dedication boo!

The video for Velouria is amazing! One of my favorite Pixies songs and videos of course. It's so minimal and perfect, kind of annoying I guess if you don't like the Pixies. Gonna make a blog post about it.

And Dinosaur Jr. doing the Cure, didn't know you could make that song mopier and noisier, J. Mascis really seals the deal on this one.

Aaron said...

Dang, I didn't even realize that 'Subterranean' was still on the air. I probably haven't tuned in since high school.