20080831

OH NO my (Sunday) best dress!

Sunday's Favorite Selections #3:

I had already made my pick for today's selection a few days ago but then once I started with the side notes, I realized that these side notes are very important. This ridiculously youtubed post is filled with past stories, past favorites and well the past itself, so I'll start with the original favorite that later is filled with reasonable side notes.


Let the side notes begin!

The Rentals featured Petra Haden who was in my favorite almost all girl band-that dog. One of her triplet sister Rachel was also in that dog and now in the recent lineup of The Rentals. You might have heard of Petra without knowing Petra (how sad). She was also in the Decemberists, has made countless of recordings for different artists and as well for herself. He's Kissing Christian was like my favorite song when I was 12.



While thinking about that dog it made me think of Cake Like because my sister had put them on a mix tape for me (it actually might have been two different mixes, but still.)  I never knew anything about Cake Like until a few years ago I was determined to do my research. To my surprise the lead singer/bassist is Kerri Kenney-Silver who is Trudy Wiegel in Reno 911, and well if you know your comedy was also in Viva Variety and The State. You might also know the guitarist because she was in Wet Hot American Summer, The Ten and also played Mary Kay Latourneau in The Mary Kay Latourneau Story!!!  Sadly, I have no idea where that tape with the first Cake Like song I heard which is called Lovely Ladies; Suck is still a good song though.



Which leads me to my last side note-this video. This video begins with some dude who I don't know Kerri Kenney-Silver, David Blaine (wtf?) then my sister (wtf!?) Yes that is corrected my lovely sister-whom introduced me to that dog (which led me to know The Rentals) and Cake Like. The opening to this video is for Jim Carroll's People Who Died which was featured in The Basketball Diaries' soundtrack. The video was filmed in a school day afternoon in CBGB. My sister skipped classes to be in the video. According to her there was only like 10 people in the crowd and she got to meet Leonardo DiCaprio (whom she danced with) and Marky Mark (whom wanted her number.) Now I haven't seen this video in ages and I haven't spoken to my sister since finding this video but here are the times I think I see her-even though this video is pretty pixelated.
2:13-the dark wearing lipstick girl with thin eyebrows on the bottom left
2:49-the dark wearing lipstick girl with thin eyebrows on the bottom with a smile
3:52-the dark wearing lipstick girl with thin eyebrows on the bottom right with a smile


I'm sure there are a few times she appears in the video-but like any good MTV music video they are short fast paced shots.
Bizarro Sunday Selections huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't dance with Leo.. I shared his sandwich, get it straight.

Aaron said...

Wooo! The Rentals!

I left an obnoxiously vague and cryptic (vague and cryptic to people who don't like the same stupid shit that I do, at least) caption on one of my MySpace pictures: "They haven't been the same since Matt Sharp left." And as annoying and musically-snobbish as that may sound, it's also completely true.

Weezer isn't good anymore. The subtle-but-strong back-up vocals, the grooving basslines, the quirkiness of the song writing and the spontaneity of the performances -- it's all suffered without him. Truth be told, Weezer as a whole has pretty much SUCKED since he left. And Pinkerton came out, what, well over a decade ago? Dang, that's a long ass time. And it hurts me to say it, because I love Weezer.

And I also love the State. There was an interesting article a few months ago that caught up with the entire troupe. It was in one of those super-fucking-indie magazines...Under the Radar? Paste? Filter? Death + Taxes? One of those, I forgot. Whichever, it was cool to see what everyone was up too.