20080801

Five fingers gesture

There are a few things in life worth smiling for. Top of that list for me is a good high five. Like thumbs up or a geeky hand wave, high fives bring me a joy that never fails (I used to give boys I liked thumbs up while saying bye as a result of nervousness). I've had hours worth of conversations based on high fives, rules of high fives and such. One of these conversation-I peed a tiny little from laughing too hard.

I had not such a great day today. I was bummed and was convinced that nothing would make me happy-and boy was I wrong. I went to Backbone Music after work, and while paying for my purchases, all the guys that were there were stoked on my purchases-so stoked one of the guys gave me a high five. This totally made my day. I think it made his day too because he gave his friend a high five afterward. This led to a conversation about high fives, and I even heard a mention of the rules of high fives. 

I believe there are these unspoken rules. 

Example: never leave anyone hanging, unless you're an asshole. 
Giving your professor a high five is always weird. 
Awkward high fives can make you look like an asshole. Example: Someone you just met put their hand up, and you think it's for a high five, but they weren't excepting for a five. What a let down! 
Double high five rule every rule.

But what is pretty amazing is this Wikipedia entry on high fives.
Example : Backhand High Five
A variation of the high five in which two participants assume the traditional high five position, excepting that the back of each participant's is used as the contact point. This variation is a less demonstrative gesture and used during minor instances of celebration (i.e. 35 yard made field goal to end the half). Originated in Delray Beach, Florida. Also, known in some circles as the "Buddy High Five."

Delray Beach-you make dreams come true.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I love this entry.

Also.. PANTY LINERS!
seriously.. I don't care if it was just a little bit.

Aaron said...

As far as greetings go, I don't think you can top a robust and earnest high-five. But it has to be done properly...both participants have to be entirely committed to the high-five. You can't hesitate or show restraint or half-ass it, you really have to go at it full force. You have to lose yourself in it, as they say. And timing is equally important...make sure your hand makes contact with the other person's hand at the ABSOLUTE SUMMIT of the high-five. Striking hands anytime slightly before or slightly after this exact moment can invite the possibility of social awkwardness.

LOL, I'm glad you're just as concerned with the importance of greetings as I am. haha