20080630

JAKP8 and SM!

Every now and then a reality comes and captures America's heart (COPS, The Anna Nicole Show, Flavor of Love etc) but Jon and Kate plus 8 is rules them all. For one thing the kids do not get voted off the show (I think Maddy would be the first out) and well the kids are pretty much why I watch it. 
Aaden is my favorite and he looks a lot like my stuffed Dictionary doll:









So I was stoked to find out there was an official music video for Jon and Kate Plus 8 for two reasons:
1. Just two weeks ago my sister and I came up with idea of being in a band together and only write about Jon and Kate Plus 8 (like Harry and the Potters)
2. Kids making music is the best thing ever

It ended up not being what I thought. Neither Jon and Kate or the plus 8s sang and there was minimal participation from the kids. Coming from an artistic background and working with kids who are making art, I think it's highly important at a young age for kids to experiment with the arts. They learn to be creative independently and the results can be pretty mind blowing. 
Examples:
My 3 year old niece makes the most bizarre, borderline disturbing drawings and they are solo gallery material. In this episode of JAKP8 Kate being the OCD mom that she is painted over what one of the 8s painting a pottery bowl (that they did as a part of their girls outing). That's such an asshole thing to do mom.
Also-my niece and I have band named The Ladybugs, and we've gone strong for almost a year. I let her sing (trees up your noses!) and play whatever she wants while I sometimes play the drums or accordion. It's the most fun we have together. 

One of my favorite bands I discovered this year comes from a 5 year old. Her band is called Snow Monster! and the music is experimental pop. It is also pretty impressive.  The 5 year old Mabel wanted to make music and has her dad making the music while she writes all the lyrics and her little brother joins along shaking and rattling. My neice loves them and whenever I see her she always ask me if she can watch the video of the little girl-so here it goes!
 

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Oh man, you posted an entry about Jon & Kate Plus 8. I just got home from work, so I'm tired, I'm mentally exhausted, and my body aches, but I CANNOT go to sleep without first leaving a comment. This is one of my favorite shows. Here's my rundown of the family:

Aaden's my favorite too, I'm with you on that. You can just tell that he's gonna grow up to be sensitive, bookish, introverted, and artistically-inclined. The glasses say it all. That kid is gonna be a deep thinker, you just know it. Basically, he's gonna have a personality.

Cara seems to be a very healthy, well-adjusted young girl. That's good for the sake of her own development, but unfortunately, that doesn't necessarily make for great TV.

I like Joel's style. He's steady. He doesn't have high highs, doesn't have low lows. He'll plug along, plug along...bust out some funny ass shit...then plug along, plug along. He knows how to pick his spots.

Hannah's cute, but the proportions and arrangement of her facial features make her look like she has a sliiiiight case of Down syndrome. haha

Leah looks exactly like how my younger sister looked at that age. For real. The resemblance is uncanny.

Mady's awesome because I'm totally convinced that if she were given the opportunity to zap all of her siblings out of existence and become an only child, she would do it.

Colin is the least cute of the children, therefore, he's also my least favorite. They could write him entirely out of the show and I wouldn't mind.

I think Alexis is the least Asian-looking of the sextuplets. Growing up, people are gonna tell her how "exotic" and "interesting" she looks, but most of them won't be able to peg her for a half-Korean.

Great post!

Angelica said...

I'm so excited that you're completely into them as well! I have to agree with your description of them, especially Mady-I laughed so hard.

One of my favorite moments is when Aaden's day out to the farm and he said he can't see sheep, but it sound more like 'sheet')