20080618

Well she wakes up every morning to the sound of Sarah records

This past weekend was the glorious NYC Popfest. Bonnowho? International indiepop! It was great even though I skipped out on a few shows.  The four days festival (aside from the five days from last year) definitely had more of a crowd than last year. A few of the shows were sold out, and there was a bigger turn out of out of state and country people this year!


Day 1:  
The Foxgloves-Oh the Pelle Carlberg signed guitar that was the official popfest acoustic guitar started with The Foxgloves which I thought was really sweet. Lyrically I was in love but sometimes my mind flutters with one man one guitar.

In Interview-This NYC band was one of my favorites in popfest. Disoriented disco pop I would feel that best described them. I think there's a lot of potential in them. 

Oh Custer!-They were loud for two Swedish dudes playing guitars so of course I fell in love. Songs about the fall! I also thought they were really sweet. Plus they ended their set with Robyn's Be Mine!

The Secret History-I didn't get a chance to see them live last year, so I was kinda excited about this performance. During the performance I was kind of disappointed. It was too clean of pop music. I think that's why I really enjoyed In Interview-they were sloppy but played so well. I had a smile the whole time they performed. But all I remembered about The Secret History is after every song them telling the sound guy more on vocals or less vocals or how is it sounding. I just really wanted them to play.

Love is All-I knew the reason why this show was sold out was because of them. They were great. A noise pop performance with tons of energy that made me a believer. I need some of their music.


Day 2:
From Bubblegum to Sky-I came in during their last song. I was surprise this show actually started in time but then I remembered Cats on Fire was playing in at different venue after that show. A little bird told me I didn't miss much in From Bubblegum's set

Pants Yell!-I was so happy to see them again, but this time I knew a lot of the songs which made it exciting. They're still awesome.

The Besties-I missed their performance last year as well so I couldn't wait to see how they play live. They were good and slightly funny. Also a slight circle pit was started in requested from the band. They definitely hyped up the show which worked well for Tullycraft!!

Tullycraft-They are the reason why I went this year. Tully rules in so many levels it's not even funny. This show was also sold out (Pianos was as tiny as Cake Shop) and if you were 15 feet away from the stage you probably couldn't see anything. Luckily I squeezed myself to the front during Pants Yell! Tullycraft was fabulous and tons of fun. It seemed that the whole crowd was going crazy but I think anyone who was within 15 feet of the stage went crazy. Even Jenny looked a bit concerned of the craziness of the crowd (which so happened to be The Besties!) There was also crowd surfing! Never would I ever think of crowd surfing and circle pits at a pop show-it all happened that nite. Watch them performed Twee (I'm one of those lovely people in the front jumping with my arms up up and away!)

Cats on Fire-I totally did not go. 
1. It was in a different venue 
2. I was already beat up from Tullycraft 
3. Queens is a long way home
4. I was meeting a friend on the train back to Queens
This worked out well because I heard that they came out around 1-which would had made me really grumpy. Though I did get a lot of flak from Roque about missing them, but he always gives me a lot of flak. Plus I joked around how I'll go see them in Finland one day. I found out the next day that they were going to play the last day of popfest-but I didn't go to that.

Day 3:
I was the most excited about this show even though it was the same night as the Love is All/caUSE co-MOTION!/Vivian Girls show (even though I already saw Love is All and seen caUSE co-MOTION before-fucking Vivian Girls!!!). 

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart-Ah POBPAH AKA The best band in the world. They was so loud and I was so happy.

My Teenage Stride-I was smiling a lot. I love them but seriously why haven't I seen you perform my second favorite song of 2007? (Ears Like Golden Bats) That song makes me happy in so many levels.

Mahogany-Hands down my favorite of popfest. Loud shoegazing and so heartfelt. I fell in love that nite and it was with this band.

The Orchids-The legendary Orchids performed really lovely. I just loved all the kids bouncing to them. Wait I loved all the popkids bouncing at all the shows! It makes me happy to see happy bouncings.

The Ladybug Transistor-Were awesome! I still can't believe they are from Brooklyn because their sound is sooooo Athens. Full lush sounds that makes people in a good mood which is good in my book.


So I didn't go to the danceparty because I had no one to dance with :( 
Not true-I'm just awkward and I was really tired. 
And I didn't go to Sunday's show because I opted in seeing my good friend instead. So I was a little bummed in missing the Cannanes. 
Overall I had a good time and I scored a few 7"-especially the Pains of Being Pure at Heart split which is sold out!!! I seriously turned my head around making sure there wasn't a hidden camera and Punkd coming out saying sike to me or something like that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I managed to make it to most of the shows this year as well and I think the highlights for me were The Orchids and Tullycraft. I still can’t believe how crazy that Pianos crowd got. It didn’t seem like an indiepop show to me everyone was involved and crowd surfing? wtf? ;)

Anonymous said...

The tops for me were Cats On Fire, Tullycraft and The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart. So much wonderful reverb and distortion! I never saw My Bloody Valentine but I can only imagine they were something akin to this.

nyctaper said...

I recorded three sets from the Popfest -- Oh! Custer, Love Is All and Ladybug Transistor. Each recording is now available for download at nyctaper.com.

Richard said...

I would've danced with you!

Mahogany are awesome. Sounds like you had a good time, aside from the pop mosh pit.

I think the Raveonettes might be coming to FL. We are soooo there!