20081027

The beat dies

I'm not one to write reviews about releases, because frankly if I were to explain the album you would have to be me listening to it. There are no words whatsoever that explain what music does to me. That is if it doesn't suck or if it's not mediocre. In that case I would just say "that sucks" or "eh".

But here I am typing this, because I've been listening to this Beauty Dies EP for about a week now, and love it to pieces. It the gap between Pretty in Black and Lust Lust Lust. It's poppy, still dark and emotional, without being sad/happy/cute emotional. Plus it makes me want to wear a black dress with black shades and dance in a large empty hall by myself, or maybe if I'm up to it dancing with one person, but still in that large empty hall. 

The stand out track in this 4 track EP has to be Young and Beautiful. It makes me sink so low. It's beautiful, tragic, and everything that I love about the Raveonettes rocked and rolled into this song. Somehow they amaze me how they write the same song (heartbreak, love, wearing black, being beautiful and young, and death) yet its still so refreshing. I can easily say this is one of those pop tunes I've been searching for all this year. I think I have maybe two hand filled now. But this is special in any case because boy/girl harmonies makes me swoon.

About this third installment of their fall/winter EP releases, I read an interview with Sune Rose Wagner (here at Culture Bully) that he wishes people recorded more singles instead of albums. Finally, I don't feel utterly alone when I say that statement.

No comments: