20090208

The textbook committee part 2. (decided to leave you out, not even mention)

Sunday's Favorite Selection #26:


LCD Soundsystem-Someone Great (directed by the great Doug Aitken-one of my favorite artists)

Side note: This song and video makes me feel so depressed, but I love it like no other. Over a year ago I made a mix for a friend who was leaving town. All the songs were about getting psyched, but the last two songs I couldn't help myself and get serious. I put Someone Great, and ended it with Guided By Voices' Smothered In Hugs. These songs at first didn't seem like they would fit well together, but not true. Both amazing songs, both about (well to me) people who you love/once loved leaving/left your life and/or you're planning to leave with them. Your memories of them will always remain with you until the end, even if everyone has forgotten them. I was so struck with these two songs together after I made the mix that I googled it and this came up:

There was a moment at an ACL afterparty when the DJ followed by Guided By Voices' Bee Thousand jam "Smothered In Hugs" with the Silver sounds of "Someone Great." Doesn't sound like it should flow, but somehow it was perfect, prompting us to say something intelligent like "this song's fucking awesome" to nobody in particular. But three kids around answered back and started a discussion in which all agreed -- "Someone Great" is something 'fucking awesome.'

I wasn't the only person who had thought of these two songs together. Since then I'll slip one of these two songs to people who I will never forget in a mix. Even if I want to forget them now.

No comments: