20080720

Sympathy For The Devil: Art and Rock and Roll Since 1967::Hail Satan

The current exhibition in the Museum of Contemporary Art at North Miami is pretty rockin'. It was curated by Dominic Molon -whom lectured at FAU in 2002, but sadly I was still in high school and didn't care much for art. Research well done when being a slave for the Sculpture Arts Society at FAU. I would love to hear a lecture from him about this exhibition. After I'm done with this post I will use the google search engines to see if there's any good interviews and or what so not.

It's been a while since I got overly excited about certain artists being in one group show together. 
First off-Pipilotti Rist's I'm Not The Girl That Doesn't Misses Much

I've seen this video on youtube before, but it's always exciting to see it in an exhibition. Unless it was an exhibition of youtube videos. Anyways the video is quite hypnotic with Rist in a frenzy singing the first lyric to Happiness is a Warm Gun, but changing the pronoun she to I'm. For some reason that I still can't figure out why I can relate a lot to this video, and I think the reason that I don't know why makes me love it even more.

Second off-Christian Marclay's installation of records on the floor.
Badass. I think I had the biggest smile jumping over the records and saying "I'm stepping on art!" The perspective made it fun, but I would love to see a huge room with an overwhelming amount of records. As my Sculpture professor would say "Turn up the volume!"

Third off-Rirkirt Tiravanija's Untitled 1996 (Rehearsal Studio NO. 6 Silent Version) 
The first thing you notice when coming into the MOCA is this plexiglas room in the middle of the floor. Instruments, mics, headphones and recording equipment. inside and a headphones outside. Being the type of person who obsesses over any active art pieces I put the headphones on, but I only heard static. Richard did the same and we just figured it was a conceptual piece. On our way to almost leaving the junior docent asked us if we play any instruments, because this piece is meant for the "viewers" to participate in making music. The music is recorded on tape (Tiravanija has tapes since 96)  and voila art! Junior docent asked us if we wanted to try it out. He took the drum kit, Richard guitar and me bass (duh-I'm a lady). Twas fun! Even an older lady put on the headphones to listen to us jam.
Apparently you're suppose to do this whole appointment to do an hour session, and come with your own tape (because you get keep one). Thanks junior docent kid.

There were more that I would talk about, but those 3 were my favorite. I would've liked more sound installations and maybe everything being an 11 on the sound. Seriously. 

Go if you like music and art!

No comments: