20080705

Indiepop ain't noise pollution




















The second batch of singles from Happy Happy Birthday To Me Records 7" singles club finally came in today! Once I opened my package and saw that Tullycraft single staring at me I ran to my room to play it. The single is called On Tape and I thought wait that's a Pooh Sticks song. Leave it to namedropping music lovers Tullycraft to rewrite a song that has everything you want...on tape. 

Rewriting a song is tricky, but Tullycraft did it with grace and musical snobbery. The best part of Tullycraft's version is when GBV is mention and then they played the first few chords from I Am A Scientist. Tullycraft even rephotographed a Pooh Sticks photograph. 

The other side of the split is The Smittens covering My Boyfriend's Back, but it does not live up to the original or the rewritten On Tape. Though one of the splits-Andy From Denver (Marshmallow Coast/M Coast) and Red Pony Clock is amazing! Both sides are just lovely. I'm fan of Andy Gonzales so when I found out that M Coast was no more I was distraught. Andy From Denver is fizzed out electropop. Nice to groove to.

Which leads me to-Athens Popfest. There are a few bands I haven't seen perform before (Circulatory System!) but I'm not sure if I should go. I met up with a friend of mine a few days ago and we spoke about different popfests which got me amped. Also Bunnygrunt is letting their fans request songs for Athens Popfest and how so badly I want to see them play Favorite Food. Music is making me poor.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Anonymous said...

why are u so amazing? love, jeff

Angelica said...

Nooo why are YOU amazing!?
I love you jeff!

Anonymous said...

tullycraft are so f#*king cool!

Anonymous said...

That photo is too funny