20081220

Men seldom make passes at girls with glasses


It's been 12 years since I started wearing glasses, yet I was always related myself as a girl who wore girls. My first pair were pretty lame. I had to wear them because since my last name ends with a V, I sat in the back, and couldn't see the blackboard. Soon enough I moved to Florida, and I realized that wearing glasses (or at least these pair) wasn't gonna get me any friends. I stopped wearing them (or at least when I had to look at the blackboard). A few months later I lost them as I was running out my house to catch the bus. I freaked out because I realized I have horrible vision. Two days later my parents took me to get my second and probably my favorite pair of glasses ever. Leopard printed cat framed glasses. Need I say more. I was considered a bit offbeat at middle school, but this threw me off the roof. Guys though were still hitting on me-but I had a few new admirers especially the one I had liked since moving! (Eventually I found the other glasses a few days later in my front yard).

As time passes by even more, this slowed down as boys in high school didn't understand why I wore glasses. Often I would get guys telling me that if I took off my glasses and let my hair down I would be beautiful. I always just shoot them a dirty looked and tell "too bad I don't give a shit." But what bugs me the most is the fact the my own type rarely give me the time or day. Never had I thought I had a type but lets face it-deep down inside I do. I won't even get into that but point is I don't get it. I see them chasing non-glasses wearing girls after they give me that talk. Oh yes. I always get dumbfounded by that, but I never let that bring me down (actually sometimes it does). This past year I've had a hand filled of guys (that I know and don't) telling me that I intimidate them. Possibly my glasses give off the vibe. Im blaming it for the fact that it makes me look more smart, and that scares guys (especially if I'm smarter than them). 

I'm also blaming the media. I can't really think of one female wearing glasses that is smart, independent and well, dates. In order to get the dates you lose the frames. Even Tina Fey's character Liz Lemon in 30 Rock as quirky as she is (and me in a few years) gets no action. Or Ugly Betty gets action, but the show is called UGLY Betty. Lately I've been thinking of getting contacts, but this is me. I feel so weird when I don't have them on and I still do all the things to keep my glasses from falling off my face. So next option is get a new pair. I already have my eyes (haha) on a pair, but from a store in Portland. Anyways I did what they said-resized the photo to the actual measurement, print it out, cut it out, put on face. Sooo pretty. It's the same size as my current ones, but uh vintage. Well point I am getting out is that I'm still going through the trials and tribulations of being a lady with glasses. Who knew. I thought this stuff ends when you're out of high school.

While I'm at it-I am not a fan of ironic glasses...just sayin'.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

its ok just keep being "objective" and remember boys will like you if you show your tits.

Aaron said...

From the age of 19 to almost my 23rd birthday, I wore a typical pair of black, thick-framed, Rivers Cuomo nerd glasses.

I don't think I'll ever wear a pair of those ever again.

Now, I still prefer plastic frames over wire frames, just not ones that are so CLICHED. The one's I wear now are not black (they're brown) and are not thick (they're fairly thin). I feel they've become passe. I don't find anything exceptionally hip nor cutting edge about them anymore. They're like an accessory for someone who WANTS to be cool, but is a few years late. They're like a pair of Chucks -- I don't see myself wearing either of these things ever again.

I don't know how Elvis Costello has worn them for so long.

And for my next pair of glasses, I'm thinking tortoise shell. For the most part, I think I'm able to pull off looks that make most other people look like douchebags, so it may work for me.