20081215

Boy oh boy

This entry is split in two separate thoughts/writings

1. Aaron over at Examinations of the Practicality of Objectivism & Other Writings just posted about us having a "healthy competition" and compared us to Rubber Soul and Pet Sounds. I'll like to point out that I am Brian Wilson in this equation because when Aaron started his blog, I was inspired and figured I could do that. Also Pet Sounds is a favorite of mine. Even Aaron's insight on sports inspired me and make me laugh. I thought "hey I have something to say, and I think of myself as entertaining enough to be funny and cynical."

Sadly enough I've been feeling very unmotivated to write and lacking inspiration. Blogs I regularly read have slowed down on posts and things have been a bit mundane in life. I'm not sure if it's my life or society that is letting me down (perhaps both) but I've been kicking myself in the butt lately to do something. I started this blog because it kicked me in the butt and I should not be slowed down. Today I read an interview on New York Times art critic Roberta Smith. She mentioned she loves daily/weekly publications and it's immediacies. That's how I feel about blogs. A fresh thought. About 2 weeks ago The Daily Show had this writer/blogger as a guest and she said something along the line -If you were laid off from your job, you can start a blog! Jon Stewart couldn't stop laughing and neither could I. 

2.
I saw this ad on New Times the other day. I was completely intrigued by it-mostly because it took me a bit to realize it was a dude in the ad. My thought process was like this:
-Nice legs
-Hmm
-They are a bit muscular
-....
-Wait a minute...
-Dude?
-It has to be because they are showing his chest.

Are men being objectified now!? That thought has been on my mind for a bit now, but after seeing this ad I am 100% sure that men are objectified. I remember reading about this in my Aesthetics and Art Theory class, but image is everything now so this made a bigger impact on me. Aside from the fact that it's a vein treatment center what interests me is that his face is cut off. Ads with women rarely ever do that unless it's one of those loss weight before and afters. I must investigate men in ads now.

No comments: